Friday, September 07, 2007

sleepy and sleepless

in milan. amsterdam was a whirlwind of walking to appointments avoiding bikes and trams in the cool air (yay), having meetings with creative people and pretending to know what i'm talking about, and piercing sunlight. the sun is much brighter when the air is clean.

i had a lunch meeting with a brazilian woman who manages a very famous designer's work (names remaining nameles thanks to the miracles of google). we had lunch to discuss future partnership, but it seemed she was already set to agree with what we wanted (just by me showing up? i don't know. she'd been so cautious over email) and eager to talk about other things in life. i don't know if she took a liking to me or if she liked to talk (i think the latter, but we did get along well), but we had a really fascinating conversation about the dutch and their calvinistic viewpoint on life, on what she wants to do in her career, on the state of china, on where we imagined raising families... it was interesting and odd and we sat out on the terrace of this cafe overlooking a canal. after lunch she showed me a hidden convent sanctuary in the middle of central amsterdam, and then she walked me back to my hotel.

KLM food is so much better than China Eastern, or United, for that matter. On my way over we had some meal that was catered by South Beauty, and I think it was the best airplane meal I've ever had. I'd even slept through the meal service, but the guy saw that I was awake and served me up a tray. And yes, I'm preaching about the goodness of airline food, I think mostly because that's what I've lived off of in the past 36 hours.

Up at 5:30 this morning thinking about stuff. I still am not sure if I'll be here a week or just through the weekend. The next three days are about to be killer, walking a show 8 - 9 hours a day and hustling people for info in the evenings. If you saw the list of covert objectives I was given, you'd call me double-0... 0. That would make me triple 0. Work can be so political at times. And space cadet is here to execute? It makes you wonder about the state of things.

Anyway, I'm starving and I have to up in 30 minutes. Why am I wasting time blogging? Because that's what I do.

No comments: